The All Golf Quotes Collection is for anyone not looking for anything specific, or for those who just want to scroll through an abundance of Great Quotes. This page contains everything from the other Golf Quote Pages - plus many more. You'll find quotes here that are not listed on the other pages, so spend some time here to see what else we have.
Like the other pages - all quotes listed here are organized alphabetically by the author's first name.
All Golf Quotes - The Complete Collection
~ A. P. Herbert - Writer all golf quotes
- Men who would face torture without a word become blasphemous at the short fourteenth. It is clear that the game of golf may well be included in that category of intolerable provocations which may legally excuse or mitigate behavior not otherwise excusable.
- My ball is in a bunch of fern, A jolly place to be; An angry man is close astern– He waves his club at me. Well, let him wave–the sky is blue; Go on, old ball, we are but two–We may be down in three, Or nine–or ten–or twenty-five–It matters not; to be alive, Is good enough for me.
~ A.A. Milne - Writer all golf quotes
- Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad.
~ Aaron Baddeley - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Once you have your practice and you have your mechanics, you must be able to go out there and trust your mechanics.
~ Abba Eban - Diplomat all golf quotes
- Playing the game I have learned the meaning of humility. It has given me an understanding of futility of the human effort.
~ Abdullah Ahmad Badawi - Diplomat
- I just picked up golf, it was good, give me a chance to play golf.
~ Adlai Stevenson - Female Golfer all golf quotes
- Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses.
~ Al Boliska - Writer
- Have you ever noticed what golf spells backwards?
~ Al Geiberger - Commentator all golf quotes
- I didn’t realize at the moment exactly what I had done…I only realized the enormity of it when I walked into the press room and got a long standing ovation. It wasn’t until I came out of my daze that I began to appreciate my accomplishment.
- I’ve come to realize that I perform best when I’m letting my subconscious mind hit the ball and my conscious mind is otherwise occupied.
~ Al McGuire - Commentator
- It's so ridiculous to see a golfer with a one foot putt and everybody is saying "Shhh" and not moving a muscle. Then we allow nineteen year-old kids to face a game-deciding free throw with seventeen thousand people yelling.
~ Alan Shepard - Celebrity all golf quotes
- Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again.
- Then I thought, with the same club head speed, the ball’s going to go at least six times as far. There’s absolutely no drag, so if you do happen to spin it, it won’t slice or hook 'cause there’s no atmosphere to make it turn.
~ Alex Karris - Athlete all golf quotes
- My best score ever was 103, but I've only been playing 15 years.
~ Alice Cooper - Celebrity all golf quotes
- Every rock n' roll band I know, guys with long hair and tattoos, plays golf now.
~ Alistair Cooke - Writer
- Golf is an open exhibition of overweening ambition, courage deflated by stupidity, skill scoured by a whiff of arrogance.
~ Amy Alcott - Female Golfer all golf quotes
- Golf is a spiritual game. It's like Zen. You have to let your mind take over.
- Keep your sense of humor. There's enough stress in the rest of your life not to let bad shots ruin a game you're supposed to enjoy.
~ Andrew Lang - Writer
- "I'm off my game," the golfer said And shook his locks in woe; "My putter never lays me dead, My drives will never go; Howe'er I swing, howe'er I stand, Results are still the same, I'm in the but, I'm in the sand--I'm off my game!"
~ Andrew Perry - Writer all golf quotes
- There are three roads to ruin; women, gambling, and golf. The most pleasant is with women, the quickest is with gambling, but the surest is with golf.
~ Andy Rooney - Writer
- Anyone who watches golf on television would enjoy watching the grass grow on the greens.
~ Annika Sorenstam - Female Golfer all golf quotes
- I told my caddie today that I am in the position that I want to be in. That this is what I have been waiting for, to win my tenth victory. I said that I am going to do everything that I can do today and that nothing is going to stop me.
~ Anon - Writer
- Is my friend in the bunker or is the bastard on the green?
~ Arnold Palmer - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- A lot of people are afraid of winning. I was afraid I might not win.
- Concentration comes out of a combination of confidence and hunger.
- Even before you step up to the ball, have a full battle plan for the hole worked out.
- Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented.
- How did I make a twelve on a par five hole? It's simple. I missed a four-foot putt for an eleven.
- I can only tell you one thing that I do know for sure, I am a dreamer. There are not many people that will recognize or want to recognize the fact that they are dreamers in their own life … I continue to get up in the morning, enthusiastically, and go pick up a golf club with a thought that I can somewhere find that secret to making the cut. That's just an example, but it applies to other things in life, too, and that's the way I live and the way I think and the way I feel.
- I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone’s golf game. It is called an eraser.
- I never rooted against an opponent, but I never rooted for him either.
- I’ve always made a total effort, even when the odds seemed entirely against me. I never quit trying; I never felt that I didn’t have a chance to win.
- It’s a funny thing, the more I practice the luckier I get.
- I've always made a total effort, even when the odds seemed entirely against me. I never quit trying; I never felt that I didn't have a chance to win.
- Putting is like wisdom...partly a natural gift and partly the accumulation of experience.
- Success in golf depends less on strength of body than upon strength of mind and character.
- The most rewarding things you do in life are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.
- The secret of concentration is the secret of self-discovery. You reach inside yourself to discover your personal resources, and what it takes to match to the challenge.
- What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive: the white ball sailing up into the sky, reaching its apex, falling and finally dropping to the turf, just the way I planned it.
- What separates great players from the good ones is not so much ability as brain power and emotional equilibrium.
~ Art Rosenbaum - Writer all golf quotes
- Art said he wanted to get more distance. I told him to hit it and run backward.
- Golf is a game in which the ball lies poorly and the players well.
~ Arthur Daley - Writer
- Golf is like a love affair. If you don't take it seriously, it's no fun; if you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart.
~ Arthur Marshall - Writer all golf quotes
- Golf is hockey at the halt.
~ Author Unknown
- A “gimme” can best be defined as an agreement between two golfers, neither of whom can putt very well.
- A ball you can see in the rough from 50 yards away is not yours.
- A game in which you claim the privileges of age, and retain the playthings of childhood.
- A golf match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck.
- A golfer's diet: Live on greens as much as possible.
- A good drive on the 18th hole has stopped many a golfer from giving up the game.
- A good golf partner is one who's always slightly worse than you are....that's why I get so many calls to play with friends.
- Achieving a certain level of success in golf is only important if you can finally enjoy the level you've reached after you've reached it.
- An interesting thing about golf is that no matter how badly you play; it is always possible to get worse.
- Born to golf. Forced to work.
- Counting on your opponent to inform you when he breaks a rule is like expecting him to make fun of his own haircut.
- Don't buy a putter until you've had a chance to throw it.
- Drive for show, Putt for dough, Shank for comic relief.
- Even God has to practice his putting.
- Every time a golfer makes a birdie, he must subsequently make two triple bogeys to restore the fundamental equilibrium of the universe.
- Everyone replaces his divot after a perfect approach shot.
- Fifty years ago, 100 white men chasing one black man across a field was called the Ku Klux Klan. Today it's called the PGA Tour.
- Gimme: an agreement between two losers who can't quit.
- Golf balls are like eggs. They're white. They're sold by the dozen. And you need to buy fresh ones each week.
- Golf can best be defined as an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle.
- Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of a bagpipe.
- Golf is a game where the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.
- Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic.
- Golf is an easy game...It's just hard to play.
- Golf is harder than baseball. In golf, you have to play your foul balls.
- Golf is life. If you can't take golf, you can't take life.
- Golf is like marbles for adults
- Golf is like marriage: If you take yourself too seriously it won't work... and both are expensive.
- Golf is the only sport where the most feared opponent is you.
- Golf is the perfect thing to do on Sunday because you always end up having to pray a lot.
- Golf! You hit down to make the ball go up. You swing left and the ball goes right. The lowest score wins. And on top of that, the winner buys the drinks.
- Golfers who try to make everything perfect before taking the shot rarely make a perfect shot.
- Gone golfin' ... be back dark thirty.
- Hazards attract; fairways repel.
- He can take his game to Europe, Africa, Asia or wherever he wants and the world will follow.
- I had to figure out myself to figure out my game. Stewart Cink, on going to a shrink
- I wish I could play my normal game...just once.
- I’ve spent most of my life golfing – the rest I’ve just wasted.
- If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot.
- If I hit it right, it’s a slice. If I hit it left, it’s a hook. If I hit it straight, it’s a miracle.
- If there is a ball on the fringe and a ball in the bunker, your ball is in the bunker. If both balls are in the bunker, yours is in the footprint
- If there's a storm rolling in, you'll be having the game of your life.
- If you find you do not mind playing golf in the rain, the snow, even during a hurricane, here's a valuable tip: your life is in trouble.
- If you find yourself pleased that you locate more balls in the rough than you actually have lost, your focus is totally wrong and your personality might not be right for golf...it is also just a matter of time before the IRS investigates your business.
- If you want to hit a 7 iron as far as Tiger Woods does, simply try to lay up just short of a water hazard.
- If your best shots are the practice swing and the "gimme Putt", you might wish to reconsider this game.
- If your opponent has trouble remembering whether he shot a six or a seven, he probably shot an eight (or worse).
- If you're afraid a full shot might reach the green while the foursome ahead of you is still putting out, you have two options: you can immediately shank a lay-up or you can wait until the green is clear and top a ball halfway there.
- In Africa some of the native tribes have a custom of beating the ground with clubs and uttering spine chilling cries. Anthropologists call this a form of self expression. In America we call it golf.
- In golf, some people tend to get confused with all the numbers... they shoot a six, yell "fore" and write five.
- In primitive society, when native tribes beat the ground with clubs and yelled, it was called witchcraft; today, in civilized society, it is called golf.
- It is surprisingly easy to hole a fifty foot putt . For a 10.
- It takes longer to learn to be a good golfer than it does to become a brain surgeon. On the other hand, you don't get to ride around on a cart, drink beer, eat hot dogs and fart if you are performing Brain Surgery!!!!
- It's amazing how a golfer who never helps out around the house will replace his divots, repair his ball marks, and rake his sand traps.
- It's easier to get up at 6:00 AM to play golf than at 10:00 to mow the yard
- It's not a gimme if you're still away.
- I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted.
- Many a golfer prefers a golf cart to a caddy because the cart cannot count, criticize or laugh.
- My body is here, but my mind has already teed off.
- Never try to keep more than 300 separate thoughts in your mind during your swing.
- No matter how bad you are playing, it is always possible to play worse.
- Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.
- Real golfers don't cry when they line up their fourth putt.
- Real golfers don't miss putts, they get robbed.
- Real golfers have 2 handicaps: one for bragging and one for betting.
- Real golfers know how to count over five, when they have a bad hole.
- Since bad shots come in groups of three, a fourth bad shot is actually the beginning of the next group of three.
- Swing easy. Hit hard.
- The best wood in most amateurs’ bags is the pencil.
- The greatest sound in golf is the Woosh, Woosh, Woosh, of your opponents club as he hurls it across the fairway.
- The inevitable result of any golf lesson is the instant elimination of the one critical unconscious motion that allowed you to compensate for all of your many other errors.
- The less skilled the player, the more likely he is to share his ideas about the golf swing.
- The shortest distance between any two points on a golf course is a straight line that passes directly through the center of a very large tree.
- The sport of choice for the urban poor is basketball. The sport of choice for maintenance level employees is bowling. The sport of choice for front-line workers is football. The sport of choice for supervisors is baseball. The sport of choice for middle management is tennis. The sport of choice for corporate officers is golf. Conclusion: The higher you are in the corporate structure, the smaller your balls become.
- The term ‘mulligan’ is really a contraction of the phrase "maul it again."
- There are two things you can learn by stopping your back-swing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.
- To calculate the speed of a player's downswing, multiply the speed of his back-swing by his handicap; i.e., back-swing 20 mph, handicap 15, downswing = 300 mph.
- To some golfers, the greatest handicap is the ability to add correctly.
- When I die, bury me on the golf course so my husband will visit.
- When you look up, causing an awful shot, you will always look down again at exactly the moment when you ought to start watching the ball if you ever want to see it again.
- Why is it twice as difficult to hit a ball over water than sand?
- You can hit a two acre fairway 10% of the time and a two inch branch 90% of the time.
Return to the Alphabet
~ B. C. Forbes - Writer all golf quotes
- Golf without bunkers and hazards would be tame and monotonous. So would life.
~ Babe Didrikson Zaharias - Female Golfer
- Luck? Sure, but only after long practice and only with the ability to think under pressure.
~ Babe Ruth - Athlete all golf quotes
- I don't need to know where the green is. Where is the golf course?
~ Bagger Vance - Celebrity
- The swing is never learned. It's remembered.
~ Barry Fitzgerald - Writer all golf quotes
- A golf course is nothing but a poolroom moved outdoors.
~ Ben Crenshaw - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Golf is the hardest game in the world. There is no way you can ever get it. Just when you think you do, the game jumps up and puts you in your place.
- I enjoy Augusta. I enjoy its challenges. There's no other golf course like this anywhere. Its greens and its challenges on and around the greens are just super, super tough. So the greens are fun to play in sort of a morbid way.
- I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer. That's the distance my left ear is from my right.
- My golf game's gone off so much that when I went fishing a couple of weeks ago my first cast missed the lake.
- The reason why the Road hole (17th) at St. Andrews is such a great par-4 is because it's a par-5.
~ Ben Hogan - Male Golfer
- A shot that goes in the cup is pure luck, but a shot to within two feet of the flag is skill.
- All other things being equal, greens break to the west.
- As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.
- Golf is 20 percent talent and 80 percent management.
- Golf is not a game of good shots. It's a game of bad shots.
- I could not wait for the sun to come up the next morning so that I could get out on the course again.
- I don't like the glamour. I just like the game.
- I have always felt and said that a man who can be a champion in one era could be a champion in any other era because he has what it takes to reach the top.
- I have found the game to be, in all factualness, a universal language wherever I traveled at home or abroad.
- I never played a round when I didn't learn something new about the game.
- I play with friends, but we don't play friendly games.
- Like most professional golfers, I have a tendency to remember my poor shots a shade more vividly than the good ones.
- May thy ball lie in green pastures, and not in still waters.
- Placing the ball in the right position for the next shot is eighty percent of winning golf.
- Relax? How can anybody relax and play golf? You have to grip the club don't you?
- Reverse every natural instinct and do the opposite of what you are inclined to do, and you will probably come very close to having a perfect golf swing.
- Selecting a stroke is like selecting a wife. To each his own.
- The most important shot in golf is the next one.
- The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight.
- There are no shortcuts in the quest for perfection.
- There is no similarity between golf and putting; they are two different games, one played in the air, and the other on the ground.
- This is a game of misses. The guy who misses the best is going to win.
~ Ben Sayers - Equipment Manufacturer
- A good player who is a great putter is a match for any golfer. A great hitter who cannot putt is a match for no one.
~ Ben Wicks - Writer all golf quotes
- In golf as in life, it's the follow through that makes the difference.
~ Bernhard Langer - Male Golfer
- Be decisive. A wrong decision is generally less disastrous than indecision.
- But I think the guys are very happy to accommodate the people and that's part of golf in general.
- That's the difference between golf and many other sports. You go to some other sporting events, they just leave you or give you the cold shoulder and move on.
- We all know, the ones who play golf, know what a wonderful game it is and what a great past-time it is.
- Wherever we play golf, people come out here to get autographs. They obviously come out to watch us play and see us in action, but they also want to interact with us.
- You know, why the game of golf is popular? Very easy, it's a great game.
~ Bernie Lincicome - Writer all golf quotes
- Samuel Ryder, the original patron of the Ryder Cup, was buried with his 5-iron, the only sensible thing to do with any golf club, really.
~ Bernie Mac - Celebrity all golf quotes
- When I get a chance to play golf or go on a boat with good people, take the boat out and put some lobsters on the grill, get the ice-cold beer and the cigars - that's heaven here on earth.
~ Bertie Forbes - Writer
- Golf is an ideal diversion, but a ruinous disease.
~ Bertrand Russell - Writer all golf quotes
- The place of the father in the modern suburban family is a very small one, particularly if he plays golf.
~ Bill Murray - Celebrity
- When someone has a bad day like that on the golf course, you say, Greg, you look good, you look fantastic. I like your shoes, I like your pants, I like your...well, the hat's okay. I mean, you need to keep it light. Instead they say, Greg, what's next? Suicide? Alcoholism? Drugs? - on the media's bludgeoning of Greg Norman after his 1996 Masters loss.
~ Billie Jean King - Athlete all golf quotes
- There is no life for girls in team sports past Little League. I got into tennis when I realized this, and because I thought golf would be too slow for me, and I was too scared to swim.
~ Billy Casper - Male Golfer
- Try to think where you want to put the ball, not where you don’t want it to go.
~ Billy Graham - Preacher all golf quotes
- I never pray on a golf course. Actually, the Lord answers my prayers everywhere except on the course.
- The only time my prayers are never answered is on the golf course.
~ Bing Crosby - Celebrity
- My golf is woeful but I will never surrender.
~ Blackie Sherrod - Writer all golf quotes
- If Horatio Alger Jr. were alive today, he would love to write the tale of Jose Coceres, from Argentina rags to golf riches. The 38-year-old 140-pounder just won his second PGA Tour event, raising his 2001 take to $1.49 mil. Not bad for a poor ragged kid who learned to swing with a tree limb and subsequently helped raise 10 impoverished siblings.
~ Bo Jackson - Athlete
- I've taken up golf in the past five or six years, and most of the time there aren't too many people out there that can drive a ball further than I can.
~ Bob Allen - Writer all golf quotes
- The fun you get from golf is in direct ratio to the effort you don't put into it.
~ Bob Bruce - Writer
- What's nice about our (senior) tour is you can't remember your bad shots.
- You know you’re on the Senior Tour when your back goes out more than you do.
~ Bob Hope - Celebrity all golf quotes
- Drugs are very much a part of professional sports today, but when you think about it, golf is the only sport where the players aren't penalized for being on grass.
- Golf is a hard game to figure. One day you will go out and slice it and shank it, hit into all the traps and miss every green. The next day you go out and, for no reason at all, you really stink.
- I just hope I don't have to explain all the times I've used His name in vain when I get up there.
- I like to play in the low 70s. If it gets any hotter than that I will stay in the bar!
- I went to play golf and tried to shoot my age, but I shot my weight instead.
- I’ll shoot my age if I have to live to be 105.
- I'd give up golf if I didn't have so many sweaters.
- If I’m on the course and lightning starts, I get inside fast. If God wants to play through, let him.
- If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf.
- I'll shoot my age if I have to live to be 105.
- Isn't it fun to go out on the course and lie in the sun?
- Vice President Spiro Agnew can not cheat on his score: because all you have to do is look back down the fairway and count the wounded.
- We have fifty-one golf courses in Palm Springs. He (Gerald Ford) never decides which course he will play until after the first tee shot...At least he can't cheat on his score- because all you have to do is look back down the fairway and count the wounded.
~ Bob Ryan - Writer all golf quotes
- A passion, an obsession, a romance, a nice acquaintanceship with trees, sand, and water.
~ Bob Seger - Celebrity
- If I want to work, I can. If I want to play golf, or ride my motorcycle, I can. But the rest of it is family. Sometimes you're not really needed by your family, but you're there. And my kids like to know I'm there.
~ Bob Toski - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Golf is a non violent game played violently from within.
- Most golfers prepare for disaster. A good golfer prepares for success.
~ Bobby Jones - Male Golfer
- A leading difficulty with the average player is that he totally misunderstands what is meant by concentration. He may think he is concentrating hard when he is merely worrying.
- Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course, the space between your ears.
- Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears.
- Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case.
- Golf is said to be a humbling game, but it is surprising how many people are either not aware of their weaknesses or else reckless of consequences.
- Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots – but you have to play the ball where it lies.
- Golf is the only game I know of that actually becomes harder the longer you play it.
- I always like to see a person stand up to a golf ball as though he were perfectly at home in its presence.
- I get as much fun as the next man from whaling the ball as hard as I can and catching it squarely on the button. But from sad experience I learned not to try this in a round that meant anything.
- I never learned anything from a match that I won.
- In order to win, you must play your best golf when you need it most, and play your sloppy stuff when you can afford it. I shall not attempt to explain how you achieve this happy timing.
- It is nevertheless a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul.
- It is nothing new or original to say that golf is played one stroke at a time. But it took me many years to realize it.
- Many shots are spoiled at the last instant by efforts to add a few more yards.
- No one ever swung too slowly.
- No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.
- One reason golf is such an exasperating game is that a thing we learned is so easily forgotten, and we find ourselves struggling year after year with faults we had discovered and corrected time and again.
- Rhythm and timing are the two things which we all must have, yet no one knows how to teach either.
- The best exercise for golfers is golfing.
- The main idea in golf as in life, I suppose is to learn to accept what cannot be altered and to keep on doing one's own reasoned and resolute best whether the prospect be bleak or rosy.
- The moment the average golfer attempts to play from long grass or a bunker or from a difficult lie of any kind, he becomes a digger instead of a swinger.
- The secret of golf is to turn three shots into two.
- You might as well praise a man for not robbing a bank as to praise him for playing by the rules.
- You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.
~ Bobby Locke - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Approaching a putt with doubt in your mind is nearly always fatal.
- The real success in golf lies in turning three shots into two.
~ Bobby Nichols - Male Golfer
- Nothing goes down slower than a golf handicap.
~ Brad Faxon - Male Golfer
- Believe it or not, I’m not really thinking about anything when I putt….It’s hard to teach. I let my instincts take over. I like to see which way the break is going and use it. When I’m putting well, I feel like I can make everything.
~ Brad Pitt - Celebrity all golf quotes
- I'd like to design something like a city or a museum. I want to do something hands on rather than just play golf which is the sport of the religious right.
~ Brent Musburger - Commentator
- I'd play every day if I could. It's cheaper than a shrink and there are no telephones on my golf cart.
- Nothing dissects a man in public quite like golf.
~ Brett Favre - Athlete all golf quotes
- My wife, she still gives me a hard time, and says I hunt too much or I like to play golf too much. And she's probably right, but it sure beats some of the things I used to do.
~ Brian Swarbrick - Writer
- There are no points for style when it comes to putting. It's getting the ball in the cup that counts.
~ Brian Weis - Writer all golf quotes
- (Heard mumbling to himself while counting his score after putting off the green) I was on in two.... then again in four…
- (When asked how the putt breaked) It breaks towards the center of the earth when it is above the hole.
- Golf is like smoking, I have been trying to quit for years.
- I was asked by a golfer how to lower his scores. I replied start playing 9 holes instead of 18. It worked for me, it cut my scores in half.
- Never take a mulligan on a par 3. A "hole in three" is not a fun story to relive.
- That divot is so deep, I will need a sod cutter to fix it.
- That putt had more breaks than a government job.
- The ball retriever is not long enough to get my putter out of the tree.
~ Bruce Crampton - Male Golfer
- Golf is a compromise between what your ego wants you to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
~ Bruce Lansky - Writer all golf quotes
- I don't think I'll live long enough to shoot my age. I'm lucky to shoot my weight.
- I'll always remember the day I broke ninety. I had a few beers in the clubhouse and was so excited I forgot to play the back nine.
- My psychiatrist prescribed a game of golf as an antidote to the feelings of euphoria I experience from time to time.
- Someone once told me that there is more to life than golf. I think it was my ex-wife.
- Talking to a golf ball won’t do you any good, unless you do it while your opponent is teeing off.
- We learn so many things from golf- how to suffer, for instance.
~ Bruce McCall - Writer
- Here's a simple way to abolish golf's elitist and exclusionary image and make it a truly all-American sport: ditch that fifties-Republican-martini-drinker's green Brooks Brothers-style sport jacket and make the winner of the Masters slip on something in, say, black leather with plenty of metal studs.
- It's easy to see golf not as a game at all but as some whey-faced, nineteenth century Presbyterian minister's fever dream of exorcism achieved through ritual and self-mortification.
- No game designed to be played with the aid of personal servants by right-handed men who can't even bring along their dogs can be entirely good for the soul.
- Not even Barbra Streisand celebrates herself as tirelessly as golf celebrates itself.
~ Buddy Hackett - Celebrity all golf quotes
- Golf is more fun than walking naked in a strange place, but not much.
- I've had a good day when I don't fall out of the cart.
~ Burt Shotten - Athlete all golf quotes
- Any game where a man 60 can beat a man 30 ain't no game.
~ Butch Harmon - Instructor all golf quotes
- It’s much easier to have one swing thought than many.
~ Byron Nelson - Male Golfer
- Golf is a percentage game, and I play the percentages.
- Out-of-control emotions can make smart people stupid.
- Putting affects the nerves more than anything. I would actually get nauseated over three-footers.
- The only shots you can be sure of are those you've had already.
- The only thing you should force in a golf swing is the club back in the bag.
Return to the Alphabet
~ Cameron Diaz - Celebrity
- I can't wait to be that age and hanging out with a bunch of people hanging out all day playing golf and going to the beach, all my own age. We'd be laughing and having a good time and getting loopy on our prescription drugs. Driving golf carts around. I can't wait.
~ Cary Middlecoff - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Concentrate on hitting the green. The cup will come to you.
- I always think before an important shot: What is the worst that can happen on this shot? I can whiff it, shank it, or hit it out-of-bounds. But even if one of those bad things happens, I’ve got a little money in the bank, my wife still loves me, and my dog won’t bite me when I come home.
~ Casey Stengel - Athlete
- They say Yogi Berra is funny. Well, he has a lovely wife and family, a beautiful home, money in the bank, and he plays golf with millionaires. What's funny about that?
~ Celine Dion - Celebrity
- Golf is a search for perfection, for balance. It's about meditation and concentration. You have to use hand and brain.
~ Chalres Coody - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Through the ball we are all the same. We just have different ways of getting it there.
~ Charles B. Macdonald - Male Golfer
- In golf, a player can step and mar the line of his adversary's putt. A player can also hit his adversary or his caddie intentionally with his ball and claim the hole - but it isn't usually done.
~ Charles Rosin - Writer
- Golf isn't a game it's a choice that one makes with one's life.
- There's something intrinsically therapeutic about choosing to spend your time in a wide, open park-like setting that non-golfers can never truly understand.
~ Charlotte Church - Celebrity
- I know bugger all about golf.
~ Cheryl Ladd - Celebrity all golf quotes
- Two things I take very seriously in life. My golf game and my relationship with God. Neither one is simple.
~ Chi Chi Rodriguez - Male Golfer
- After all these years, it’s still embarrassing for me to play on the American golf tour. Like the time I asked my caddie f or a sand wedge and he came back ten minutes later with a ham on rye.
- For most amateurs, the best wood in the bag .....the pencil!
- Golf is a thinking man's game. You can have all the shots in the bag, but if you don't know what to do with them, you've got troubles.
- Golf is the most fun you can have without taking your clothes off.
- Golf is the only sport that a professional can enjoy playing with his friends.
- I am a millionaire today and my wife deserves all of the credit. Before I met her I was a multi-millionaire.
- I don't exaggerate - I just remember big.
- I don't fear death...but I sure do hate those three footers for par.
- I never pray to God to make a putt. I pray to God to help me react good if I miss a putt.
- I think most of the rules of golf stink.
- I've heard people say putting is 50 percent technique and 50 percent mental. I really believe it is 50 percent technique and 90 percent positive thinking, see, but that adds up to 140 percent, which is why nobody is 100 percent sure how to putt.
- The first time I played the Masters, I was so nervous I drank a bottle of rum before I teed off. I shot the happiest 83 of my life.
- Trevino is in a league by himself. We don't even count him. We figure when you come in second, you're a winner.
- When Lee and Jack win, it is good for golf. When I win, it is better.
- A golf ball is like a clock. Always hit it at 6 o’clock and make it go toward 12 o’clock. But make sure you’re in the same time zone.
~ Chris Codiroli - Athlete all golf quotes
- My handicap? Woods and irons.
~ Chris Perry - Male Golfer
- The worst club in my bag is my brain.
~ Chuck Culpepper - Writer
- We're so far into the long-hitting, super-equipment future, they're elongating even Augusta National, the Masters' home, an act of madness Price bemoans at age 44. Just sprinkle in some hungry fairway bunkers, he rightly contends. Don't make golf the equivalent of tennis-with-serves-only, warns the three-major-winner. He opens this PGA with 71, then bristles in his congenial way about Atlanta Athletic Club's villainous 490-yard, par-4 No. 18.
~ Chuck Hogan - Writer all golf quotes
- Go play golf. Go to the golf course. Hit the ball. Find the ball, repeat until the ball is in the hole. Have fun. The end.
~ Chuck Stark - Writer
- Grip it and rip it. It works for John Daly. It never worked for me. All I did was wear out golf gloves.
~ Clayton Heafner - Male Golfer
- How did you make a twelve? I had a long put for an eleven.
~ Colin Bowles - Writer all golf quotes
- The fundamental problem with golf is that every so often, no matter how lacking you may be in the essential virtues required of a steady player, the odds are that one day you will hit the ball straight, hard, and out of sight. This is the essential frustration of this excruciating sport. For when you've done it once, you make the fundamental error of asking yourself why you can't do this all the time. The answer to this question is simple: the first time was a fluke.
~ Colin Montgomerie - Male Golfer
- That's great. They should put the hole in the fairway - the quick-witted Scot, replied, when informed that he was ranked first in fairway hits
- To be truthful, I think golfers are overpaid. It's unreal, and I have trouble dealing with the guilt sometime.
~ Colman McCarthy - Writer all golf quotes
- Indeed, the highest pleasure of golf may be that on the fairways and far from all the pressures of commerce and rationality, we can feel immortal for a few hours.
~ Connie Chung - Celebrity
- For instance, he says I let him play golf, and he says, he lets me be miserable in my job. Now - that doesn't quite sound right, does it? But nonetheless, I think for the first time in my life, I'm not going to be miserable in my life when I come and work at CNN.
~ Craig Stadler - Male Golfer
- Why am I using a new putter? Because the last one didn't float too well.
~ Curtis Strange - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- I don't believe I have a good enough friend to give a three-footer - after Davis Love gave a three-footer to Darren Clarke on the 20th hole of their match
- Under pressure, one of the most important things I have to remember to do is breathe.
Return to the Alphabet
~ Dan Jenkins - Writer
- A good one iron shot is about as easy to come by as an understanding wife.
- Always keep in mind that if God didn't want a man to have mulligans, golf balls wouldn't come three to a sleeve.
- Every golfer has at least 14 enemies: his clubs.
~ Dan Marino - Athlete all golf quotes
- Swing hard in case you hit it.
~ Dan Quayle - Diplomat
- In golf, you keep your head down and follow through. In the vice presidency, you keep your head up and follow through. It's a big difference.
~ Darius Rucker - Celebrity
- We raised almost 2 million dollars at the last golf tournament that can be used for minority scholarships and Junior Golf programs. The payoff for the work we do is so much more valuable than the work we actually do for it.
~ Darrell Royal - Athlete all golf quotes
- But I do have time to pencil in golf, and we've got four excellent courses.
- I do not let a bad score ruin my enjoyment for golf.
- I move around and play different golf courses. I just enjoy it.
~ Dave Barry - Writer all golf quotes
- Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants, today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.
- For me, the worst part of playing golf, by far, has always been hitting the ball.
~ Dave Hill - Celebrity all golf quotes
- Golf is the hardest game in the world to play, and the easiest to cheat at.
- My game is so bad I gotta hire three caddies- one to walk the left rough, one for the right, and one for the middle. And the one in the middle doesn't have much to do.
- The golf swing is like sex: you can't be thinking of the mechanics of the act while you're doing it.
~ Dave Kindred - Writer
- One hundred years of experience had demonstrated that the game is temporary insanity practiced in a pasture.
~ Dave Marr - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Golf’s three ugliest words: still your shot.
- Never bet with anyone you meet on the first tee, who has a deep suntan, a one iron in his bag and squinty eyes.
~ Dave Stockton - Male Golfer
- In 1993, my second year on the Senior PGA Tour, I won five tournaments and $1,175,944, was leading money-winner, and was named Player of the Year. Yes, I made some physical improvements in my game but the main reason I had a year for me was unbelievable is that I worked hard on the mental side of my game.
- The number one thing about trouble is...don't get into more.
- When the ducks are walking, you know it is too windy to be playing golf.
~ Dave Williams - Celebrity all golf quotes
- If you want to beat someone out on the golf course, just get him mad.
~ David Brenner - Celebrity
- I don’t like to watch golf on television because I can’t stand people who whisper.
~ David Feherty - Commentator
- It's hard to tell who's going to win this week, but it probably won't be a big, fat guy - on the heat and humidity during the U.S. PGA in 2001
~ David Hyde Pierce - Celebrity all golf quotes
- I went and took golf lessons so Dad would let me play with him. I was just terrible... but I was able to have a wonderful time just walking around with Dad. I can see the real pleasure of that game.
~ David Noonan - Artist
- Golf is the ego and id in a playoff that never ends. It’s a solitary wandering in the manicured wilderness, It’s man alone with his own mind. It’s too much time to think and too much to think about. It’s more like life than life itself.
~ Davis Love Jr. - Male Golfer
- A routine is not a routine if you have to think about it.
- When it's breezy, hit it easy.
~ Dean Martin - Celebrity all golf quotes
- If you drink, don't drive. Don't even putt.
~ Debbie Massey - Female Golfer - two-time British Open Champion
- You stand up to that challenging shot, you put yourself into that shot, and you pour yourself into it confidently. Stand up and commit yourself completely. If you miss it, you miss it certainly. You’ve done everything you can.
~ Delta Burke - Celebrity
- I get in my golf cart with my dogs, I have five dogs.
~ Dennis Quaid - Celebrity all golf quotes
- I can't hit a ball more than 200 yards. I have no butt. You need a butt if you're going to hit a golf ball.
~ Derek Burshiem - Male Golfer - four-time winner of the Oglala Nation Open
- Golf is a natural fit for us. It satisfies the spirit. You're out in the grass and the trees. You're out there with nature. You're not really competing with each other, you're competing against the golf course. I think it fits well with Native American society. Not all Native Americans get a chance to play, but I'm hoping that will change.
~ Dick Emmons - Writer
- Some golfers lie awake at night and brood on what went wrong; I'd rather think of what went right. It doesn't take as long.
- When hitting wedge shots, I've a flair, that’s turning my hair gray; they stop, I swear, right next to where the pin was...yesterday.
~ Dick Van Dyke - Celebrity all golf quotes
- Stan said he used to keep Hardy late, make him miss his golf game, and really get him mad.
~ Dinah Shore - Celebrity
- It’s the most humbling sport ever. It’s like a lousy lover. It’s like some guy who’s never there when you need him. Every once in a while, he comes and makes you feel like heaven on earth.. And then the moment you say, ‘I really need this,’ he’s gone.
~ Don Adams - Celebrity all golf quotes
- I had a wonderful experience on the golf course today. I had a hole in nothing. Missed the ball and sank the divot.
~ Don Carter - Businessman
- One of the advantages bowling has over golf is that you seldom lose a bowling ball.
~ Don Christopher - Jack Lemmon's Caddie
- When he gets the ball into a tough place, that's when he's most relaxed. I think it's because he has so much experience at it.
~ Don Herold - Writer
- Golf may be a hussy, but I love her.
- Nobody ever looked up and saw a good shot.
~ Don January - Male Golfer
- The better you putt, the bolder you play.
~ Donna Evleth - Writer all golf quotes
- The golf course being rather far, I have an excuse to take the car. And since the holes are far apart, I have an excuse to use a cart. But one thing has me still defeated—you cannot hit the ball while seated.
~ Doug Ferguson - Associated Press Writer
- Golf is no longer a game of hitting the ball, finding it, and hitting it again. There is wind to be measured, whether that means tossing blades of grass in the air or studying the gentle movement of 60-foot high branches. There are caddie conferences for even the most routine shots. There are sports psychologists who tell players not to hit until they're ready - on the miserable state of pace of play in the PGA, "Even USGA admits it can't get golfers in gear"
~ Doug Sanders - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- I'm working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything would be perfect.
~ Dougray Scott - Celebrity
- I tend to do golf charity things because it's much safer and you don't get much chance of a broken arm or leg
~ Dr. Bob Rotella - Psychologist all golf quotes
- A golfer has to train his swing on the practice tee, then trust it on the course.
- Golf is about how well you accept, respond to, and score with your misses much more so than it is a game of your perfect shots
- Hit the shot you know you can hit, not the one you think you should.
Return to the Alphabet
~ Earl Woods - Father
- He doesn't have a wife, he doesn't even have a girlfriend, so the only people he has to call on is me - commenting about Tiger after the Masters in 1997
~ Ed Furgol - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Everybody has two swings-a beautiful practice swing and the choked-up one with which they hit the ball. So it wouldn't do either of us a damned bit of good to look at your practice swing.
~ Ed McMahon - Celebrity
- Golf courses sell real estate and that's why they're built.
- The majority of people who buy homes in golf course communities don't play golf. Golf is way down at the bottom in terms of total numbers and growth.
~ Edward Macauley - Writer all golf quotes
- Remember that someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet him he will win.
~ Edward VIII - Diplomat
- I like going there for golf. America's one vast golf course these days.
~ Edwin Pope - Miami Herald Sports Writer
- The hole from hell is back ... If you don't drive a golf ball at least 268 yards, you will need the U.S. Navy on your left and the French Foreign Legion on the right - describing number 18 at the 1997 Doral-Ryder Open.
~ Eric Heiden - Athlete all golf quotes
- Cyclists, I work with a number of cyclists. They are great athletes; they are great aerobic athletes. If you ask them to hit a baseball or golf ball, they can't do that.
~ Eric Linklater - Writer
- All I've got against golf is it takes you so far from the clubhouse.
~ Ernest Hemmingway - Writer
- The game of golf would lose a great deal if croquet mallets and billiard cues were allowed on the putting green.
~ Ernie Banks - Athlete all golf quotes
- Baseball reveals character; golf exposes it.
Return to the Alphabet
~ Fletcher Knebel - Writer
- Find a man with both feet firmly on the ground and you’ve found a man about to make a difficult putt.
~ Franklin Pierce Adams - Writer
- Middle age occurs when you are too young to take up golf and too old to rush up to the net.
~ Franklin Pierce Adams - Writer
- Years ago we discovered the exact point, the dead center of middle age. It occurs when you are too young to take up golf and too old to rush up to the net.
~ Fred Beck - Athlete
- If you pick up a golfer and hold it close to your ear, like a conch shell, and listen, you will hear an alibi.
~ Fred Couples - Male Golfer
- As far as swing and techniques are concerned, I don’t know diddly squat. When I’m playing well, I don’t even take aim.
Return to the Alphabet
~ G. K. Chesterton - Writer
- I regard golf as an expensive way of playing marbles.
~ Gabrielle Reece - Athlete
- I don't have a life, I really don't. I'm as close to a nun as you can be without the little hat. I'm a golf nun.
~ Gardner Dickinson - Male Golfer
- They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that.
~ Gary McCord - Commentator - on Tiger Woods
- He hits the ball a long way and he knows how to win.
- He's got an overall flair for the game. It looks to me like he really loves what he does and he can't wait to get up in the morning, go hit some balls and go play.
- He's in the mold of a Tom Watson, in that he'll hit the ball in the trees and undaunted go it there, flail it out and make something out of it.
~ Gary Player - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- As we all know... golf is a puzzle without an answer.
- Golf is a puzzle without an answer. I’ve played the game for 40 years and I still haven’t the slightest idea how to play.
- I am tired of all these golfers who are happy with second place. The only one who will like you if you come in second place is your wife and your dog. And that is only if you have a good wife and a good dog.
- I try to work with God as a partner.
- If there's a golf course in heaven, I hope it's like Augusta National. I just don't want an early tee time.
- If you think your hands are more important in your golf swing than your legs, try walking a hole on your hands.
- The harder I practice the luckier I get.
- There is absolutely nothing humorous at the Masters. Here, small dogs do not bark and babies do not cry.
- When you play the game for fun...it's fun. When you play it for a living...it's a game of sorrows.
- You must work very hard to become a natural golfer.
~ Gay Brewer - Male Golfer
- Golf is a game you can never get too good at. You can improve, but you can never get to where you master the game.
~ George Archer - Male Golfer
- Baseball players quit playing and they take up golf. Basketball players quit, take up golf. Football players quit, take up golf. What are we supposed to take up when we quit?
- Golf is like a chain. You always have to work on the weakest links.
- If it wasn't for golf, I'd probably still be a caddy.
- One thing about golf is you don’t know why you play bad and why you play good.
~ George Bernard Shaw - Writer
- Golf is typical capitalist lunacy.
~ George Brett - Athlete
- I was three over. One over a house, one over a patio, and one over a swimming pool.
~ George Deukmejian - Diplomat all golf quotes
- The difference between golf and government is that in golf you can’t improve your lie.
~ George Duncan - Male Golfer
- The right way to play golf is to go up and hit the bloody thing.
~ Gerald Ford - Diplomat
- I deny allegations by Bob Hope that during my last game I hit an eagle, birdie, an elk & a moose.
- I know I am getting better at golf because I am hitting fewer spectators.
- I would like to deny all allegations by Bob Hope that during my last game of golf, I hit an eagle, a birdie, an elk and a moose.
- The pat on the back, the arm around the shoulder, the praise for what was done right and the sympathetic nod for what wasn't are as much a part of golf as life itself.
~ Gerry Cheevers - Athlete all golf quotes
- In golf I am one under; one under a tree, one under a rock, and one under a bush.
~ Gil Gerard - Celebrity
- I have a project at HBO and one at the Family Channel coming that are being looked at. Aside from that I am not doing much more than playing golf and some skiing.
- Prior to that I produced a couple of TV movies for CBS, but the truth of the matter is that I burned out for a couple of years. I didn't do anything for a while, apart from taking up golf, for which I got a four handicap.
~ Grantland Rice - Writer
- Eighteen holes of match play will teach you more about your foe than 18 years of dealing with him across a desk.
- Few learn golf in a lifetime.
- Golf gives you an insight into human nature, your own as well as your opponent's.
- Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation.
- Like life, golf can be humbling. However, little good comes from brooding about mistakes we’ve made. The next shot, in golf or in life, is the big one.
- Rhythm is best expressed in any swing directed at a cigar stump or a dandelion head.
- This is the substance of our Plot—For those who play the Perfect Shot, There are ten thousand who do not.
- You are meant to play the ball as it lies, a fact that may help to touch on your own objective approach to life.
~ Greg Norman - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Being away for the weekends, and me being the international player that I have been for those 30 years, I've spent a lot more time flying around the world, playing different golf tournaments around the world.
- Happiness is a long walk with a putter.
- I don't see myself playing or adjusting my schedule for senior tournament golf.
- I mean, I can actually say goodbye to the game of golf, never hit another golf shot the rest of my life and I'd be happy because I can get back in life without any rotation.
- I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
- I screwed up. It's all on me. I know that. But losing this Masters is not the end of the world. I let this one get away, but I still have a pretty good life. I'll wake up tomorrow, still breathing, I hope. All these hiccups I have, they must be for a reason. All this is just a test. I just don't know what the test is yet - on the 1996 Masters
- I'm disappointed, but I'm not going to run around like Dennis Rodman and headbutt somebody - on losing a six-stroke lead in the Masters
- I'm not interested at all in playing more than 12, 15 tournaments a year on an annual basis because like all the old guys out here on this Tour, we've played golf for nearly 30 years of our lives.
- I've really got no complaints about the way I played, just extremely frustrating with the putter and I'm sure there's a lot of other players saying the same thing except the guy who's going to win the golf tournament.
- My doctor asked me how many golf balls I had hit in my career. I'm lying there in bed calculating somewhere between four and five million golf balls I had hit to do that on my body.
- Obviously it's my second senior event, and I'm tired obviously coming back from the British Open, from surgery, which was priority No. 1, did that successfully, and each week since the British Open I've felt in pretty good control of my golf game.
- So my game is solid. So that obviously makes me feel confident, that like anybody else in this field, you name them, I feel like I've got the ability to win the golf tournament just as much as they have, and that's the way I'm going to take it.
- Sometimes things work out on the golf course and sometimes they don't. Life will go on. You try to understand what happens, but maybe today I don't want to know. I just screwed up so maybe I should just put it behind me.
- That's why we have practice rounds. We make the adjustments as we go around, try and find out how to play the golf course the best we can. No big deal, it's nothing to me, it's the same for me as it is to everybody and we're all trying to understand it.
- The game of golf doesn't come rushing back to you. Last week I made a couple of fundamental mistakes that I probably wouldn't have made in the heat of the battle back when I was in my heyday, and those things have got to come back.
- You create your own luck by the way you play. There is no such luck as bad luck. Fate has nothing to do with success or failure, because that is a negative philosophy that indicts one's confidence, and I'll have no part of it.
~ Groucho Marx - Celebrity
- I don't care to join any club that's prepared to have me as a member.
- I'm not feeling very well - I need a doctor immediately. Ring the nearest golf course.
~ Guinness Advertisement - Misc
- If you foozle with your cleek, And your putts are let's say—weak. If your drives, for all to see, Do not always leave the tee. And to slice them is a habit, If, in short, you're a rabbit. Do not put your clubs away. Drink a Guinness every day.
Return to the Alphabet
~ H. G. Wells - Writer all golf quotes
- The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf - it's almost a law.
~ H. L. Mencken - Writer
- If I had my way, any man guilty of golf would be barred from any public office in the United States and the families of the breed would be shipped off to the white slave corrals of Argentina.
- It is impossible to imagine Goethe or Beethoven being good at billiards or golf.
~ Hal Linden - Celebrity
- I challenge myself everywhere, onstage, on the golf course. Hey, isn't that the point of it all? To keep getting better? Otherwise why do it?
~ Hal Sutton - Male Golfer
- I don't feel badly about that. There's a lot of energy on the golf course. The guys are playing great. I like the pairings in the afternoon. I'm going to take what we've got.
~ Hale Irwin - Male Golfer
- Golf is the loneliest sport. You're completely alone with every conceivable opportunity to defeat yourself. Golf brings out your assets and liabilities as a person. The longer you play, the more certain you are that a man's performance is the outward manifestation of who, in his heart, he really thinks he is.
~ Hank Aaron - Athlete
- It took me seventeen years to get three thousand hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course.
~ Happy Gilmore - Fictional Golf Pro
- To play golf you need goofy pants and a fat ass.
~ Harper Lee - Writer all golf quotes
- Well, they're Southern people, and if they know you are working at home they think nothing of walking right in for coffee. But they wouldn't dream of interrupting you at golf.
~ Harry Toscano - Male Golfer
- I’m hitting the woods just great, but I’m having a terrible time getting out of them.
~ Harry Vardon - Male Golfer
- A great deal of unnecessarily bad golf is played in this world.
- I Don’t play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.
- For this game you need, above all things, to be in a tranquil frame of mind.
- If your opponent is playing several shots in vain attempts to extricate himself from a bunker, do not stand near him and audibly count his strokes. It would be justifiable homicide if he wound up his pitiable exhibition by applying his niblick to your head.
- Never concede the putt that beats you.
- To play well you must feel tranquil and at peace. I have never been troubled by nerves in golf because I felt I had nothing to lose and everything to gain.
~ Harvey Penick - Equipment Manufacturer
- All seasoned players know, or at least have felt, that when you are playing your best, you are much the same as in a state of meditation. You are free of tension and chatter. You are concentrating on one thing. It is the ideal condition for good golf.
- Go out and have fun. Golf is a game for everyone, not just for the talented few.
- Golf has probably kept more people sane than psychiatrists have.
- Golf tips are like aspirin. One may do you good, but if you swallow the whole bottle you will be lucky to survive.
- The woods are full of long drivers.
~ Henny Youngman - Celebrity
- While playing golf today I hit two good balls. I stepped on a rake.
~ Henry Beard - Writer all golf quotes
- "Play it as it lies" is one of the fundamental dictates of golf. The other is "Wear it if it clashes."
- A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom.
- A tap-in is a putt that is short enough to be missed one-handed.
- Duffers who consistently shank their balls are urged to buy and study Shanks – No Thanks by R.K. Hoffman, or in extreme cases, M.S. Howard’s excellent Tennis for Beginners.
- Play it as it lies' is one of the fundamental dictates of golf. The other is 'Wear it if it clashes'.
- When your shot has to carry over a water hazard, you can either hit one more club or two more balls.
~ Henry Beard & Roy McKie - Writers
- Follow through: The part of the swing that takes place after the ball has been hit, but before the club has been thrown.
~ Henry Colton - Writer
- Every shot counts. The three-foot putt is as important as the 300-yard drive.
- Golf is a matter of confidence. If you think you cannot do it, there is no chance you will.
- Missing a short putt does not mean you have to hit your next drive out of bounds.
~ Henry Longhurst - Writer all golf quotes
- If you call on God to improve the results of a shot while it is still in motion, you are using "an outside agency" and subject to appropriate penalties under the rules of golf.
- Playing golf is like learning a foreign language.
- They say ‘practice makes perfect.’ Of course, it doesn't. For the vast majority of golfers it merely consolidates imperfection.
- Whatever anyone may care to say about golf, at least one thing is mercifully certain, namely it is a voluntary affair.
~ Herb Cain - Writer
- Baffling late-life discovery: Golfers wear those awful clothes on purpose.
~ Heywood Hale Broun - Writer
- Golf is not, on the whole, a game for realists. By its exactitudes of measurements it invites the attention of perfectionists.
~ Homero Blancas - Male Golfer
- Yeah, after each of my downhill putts - when asked if he had any uphill putts
~ Horace G. Hutchinson - Writer
- If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is.
~ Howard Keel - Celebrity
- The only way to enjoy golf is to be a masochist. Go out and beat yourself to death.
Return to the Alphabet
~ Ian Baker-Finch - Male Golfer
- His driving is unbelievable. I don't go that far on my holidays - on John Daly
~ Ian Botham - Athlete
- I can remember running around at the age of 3, wanting to play golf, cricket and football. I was always active, one way or another, driving my parents mad.
~ Ian Woosnam - Male Golfer
- It's a torture chamber, if we had to play it every day I don't think I'd be playing golf.
- Life's too short to spend all the time in the gym. I just like to have a few beers and enjoy myself too - after he beat Colin Montgomerie in the Cisco World Match play at Wentworth, October 2001
Return to the Alphabet
~ J. C. Snead - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- It’s so bad I could putt off a tabletop and still leave the ball halfway down the leg.
~ Jack Benny - Celebrity
- Give me the fresh air, a beautiful partner, and a nice round of golf... and you can keep the fresh air and the round of golf.
~ Jack Lemmon - Celebrity
- I was lying ten and had a thirty-five foot putt. I whispered over my shoulder: "How does this one break?" And my caddie said, "Who cares?"
- I would rather play Hamlet with no rehearsal than TV golf.
- If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.
~ Jack Nicklaus - Male Golfer
- A kid grows up a lot faster on the golf course. Golf teaches you how to behave.
- A perfectly straight shot with a big club is a fluke.
- Ask yourself how many shots you would have saved if you always developed a strategy before you hit, always played within your capabilities, never lost you temper, and never got down on yourself.
- Don't be too proud to take a lesson. I'm not.
- Golf is a better game played downhill.
- Golf is not and has never has been a fair game.
- Golf is not, and never has been, a fair game.
- Good golf shots result from delivering the club head to the ball when the club head is traveling either from slightly inside or directly along the target line with the face looking squarely at the target. golf quotes
- He has the finest, fundamentally sound golf swing I've ever seen - on Tiger Woods
- He's going to be around a long, long time, if his body holds up. That's always a concern with a lot of players because of how much they play. A lot of guys can't handle it. But it looks like he can - also on Tiger Woods
- I don't know if I'll ever do it again or not, but frankly I don't really care - on his sixth Masters
- I like trying to win. That's what golf is all about.
- I never hit a shot, even in practice, without having a very sharp, in focus picture of it in my head. It’s like a color movie. First I ‘see’ the ball where I want it to finish, nice and high and sitting up high on the bright green grass. Then the scene quickly changes and I ‘see’ the ball going there: its path, trajectory, and shape, even its behavior on landing.
- I never missed a putt in my mind.
- I think I fail just a bit less than everyone else.
- If there is one thing I have learned during my years as a professional, it is that the only thing constant about golf is its inconstancy.
- It takes hundreds of good golf shots to gain confidence, but only one bad one to lose it.
- It's hard not to play golf that's up to Jack Nicklaus standards when you are Jack Nicklaus.
- I've always tried to play golf with a golf club. I have a hard time driving with my rifle. I mean, 18 is really narrow ... I have no problem with the course, except for the tee shot on 18 - describing 443 yard number 18 at the 1997 Doral-Ryder Open, nicknamed Blue Monster
- Keeping the head still is golf's one universal, unarguable fundamental.
- Nobody ever remembers who finished second at anything.
- Professional golf is the only sport where, if you win 20 percent of the time, you're the best.
- Scoring comes from being able to preserve what you've got and play your smart shots when you need to play them and not do stupid things and take advantage of things when have you them.
- Such is putting! 2% technique, 98% inspiration or confidence or touch…the only thing great putters have in common is touch and that is the critical ingredient…none of them found it through mechanizing a stroke, nor do I believe they could maintain it that way.
- Tee your ball high...air offers less resistance than dirt.
- The older you get the stronger the wind gets and it is always in your face.
- There are no maladies in my golf game. My golf game stinks.
- There isn't a flaw in his golf or his makeup. He will win more majors than Arnold Palmer and me combined. Somebody is going to dust my records. It might as well be Tiger, because he's such a great kid - on Tiger Woods
- There’s a guy who won’t be in contention. There’s another one I don’t have to worry about - when fellow competitors complain about playing conditions
- Through years of experience I have found that air offers less resistance than dirt - on why he tees his ball high
- We all would like to struggle like Tiger is struggling.
- When I want a long ball, I spin my hips faster.
- When you lip out several putts in a row, you should never think that means that you're putting well. When you're putting well, the only question is what part of the hole it's going to fall in, not if it's going in.
~ Jackie Burke - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- The average golfer doesn’t play golf. He attacks it.
- Be prepared to scramble right from the start.
~ Jackie Gleason - Celebrity
- Obviously a deer on the fairway has seen you tee off before and knows that the safest place to be when you play is right down the middle.
~ James Caan - Celebrity
- I always thought of myself as some sort of athlete until I started playing golf a couple years ago.
~ James Clark - Writer all golf quotes
- Playing golf is just like going to a strip club. You're all revved up, ready to go. But three hours later, you're depressed, plastered, and most of your balls are missing.
~ James Patrick Murray - Writer
- Show me a man who is a good loser and I'll show you a man who is playing golf with his boss.
~ Jane Blalock - Female Golfer
- It doesn’t happen all the time, but when I’m playing well it’s as if my eyes change. I can feel it. I just feel like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde-a transformation happens, I’m a totally different human being. I don’t hear anybody, I don’t see anybody, nothing bothers me, nothing is going to interfere with what I’m about to do.
~ Jane Swan - Writer
- My golf is improving. Yesterday I hit the ball in one!
~ Jay Mohr - Celebrity all golf quotes
- I hate golf. I do not understand how anyone can enjoy it, much less love it.
- I think golf is a waste of time and a waste of a sunny afternoon. I also stink at it. I have never found anything, including divorce and a sexual harassment suit, more frustrating.
~ Jean Girardoux - Writer
- A golf course is the epitome of all that is purely transitory in the universe, a space not to dwell in, but to get over as quickly as possible.
~ Jeff Cesario - Celebrity all golf quotes
- Who watches golf on TV? Who calls eight friends over and gets a keg of beer? Landscapers, I guess. They sit around the TV, yelling, Will you look at that golf path? Pure pea gravel.
~ Jeff Foxworthy - Celebrity
- I tried real hard to play golf, and I was so bad at it they would have to check me for ticks at the end of the round because I’d spent about half the day in the woods.
~ Jello Biafra - Celebrity all golf quotes
- You can spend the money on new housing for poor people and the homeless, or you can spend it on a football stadium or a golf course.
~ Jennifer Wyatt - Female Golfer
- I am relying on the theory that playing golf is just like riding a bike and that I haven't forgotten how.
~ Jeremy London - Celebrity
- I'm gonna be the best dad that ever lived. I'll have a ranch with a race car track and a golf course.
~ Jerry Barber - Male Golfer
- The older you get, the easier it is to shoot your age.
~ Jim Bishop - Writer all golf quotes
- Golf is played by twenty million mature American men whose wives think they are out having fun.
- Mulligan: invented by an Irishman who wanted to hit one more twenty yard grounder.
~ Jim Dent - Male Golfer
- I can airmail the golf ball, but sometimes I do not put the right address on it.
~ Jim Furyk - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- My only goal is to look back at the end of each year and see that I have improved.
~ Jim Murray - Writer
- Actually, the only time I ever took out a one-iron was to kill a tarantula. And it took a seven to do that.
- Golf is not a game, it's bondage. It was obviously devised by a man torn with guilt, eager to atone for his sins.
- Golf is the cruelest of sports. Like life, it's unfair. It's a harlot. A trollop. It leads you on. It never lives up to its promises.... It's a boulevard of broken dreams. It plays with men. And runs off with the butcher.
- Golf without mistakes is like watching haircuts. A dinner without wine.
- I’m gambling that when we get into the next life, Saint Peter will look at us and ask, “Golfer?” And when we nod, he will step aside and say, “Go right in; you’ve suffered enough.” One warning, if you do go in and the first thing you see is a par 3 surrounded by water, it ain’t heaven.
- If your caddie coaches you on the tee, 'Hit it down the left side with a little draw,' ignore him. All you do on the tee is try not to hit the caddie.
~ Jimmy Demaret - Male Golfer
- Golf and sex are about the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.
- Golf is based on honesty; where else would you admit to a seven on a par three?
- He’s hit it fat.... It will probably be short.... It just hit the front edge of the green.... It’s got no chance.... It’s rolling toward the cup.... Well I’ll be damned!
- You know what they say about big hitters...the woods are full of them.
~ Joe E. Lewis - Celebrity all golf quotes
- I play in the low 80s. If it’s any hotter than that, I won’t play.
~ Joe Mantegna - Celebrity
- You know the way I play golf, it's a good I do these things for charities.
~ Joey Adams - Celebrity
- If you break 100, watch your golf. If you break 80, watch your business.
- Most people play a fair game of golf - if you watch them.
~ John Daly - Male Golfer
- Do I have to know rules and all that crap? Then forget it. (when asked whether he'd like to join the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, after winning the '95 British Open at St. Andrews)
- He's tough (Tiger Woods). I wish I was that tough when I was his age.
- I enjoy the oohs! and aahs! from the gallery when I hit my drives. But I'm getting pretty tired of the awws! and uhhs! when I miss the putt.
- Life is nothing but a memory. People who dwell on the bad ones aren’t going to have a whole lot of good ones coming up.
- My slogan is who needs fitness when you've got great equipment - when asked if he works out these days
~ John Goodman - Celebrity
- It was cool for a couple of weeks, but how much bad golf can you play?
~ John Gunther - Writer all golf quotes
- One travels like a golf ball, hopping from green to green.
~ John Hallisey - Writer
- My worst day on the golf course still beats my best day in the office.
~ John Updike - Writer
- Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five.
- The golf swing is like a suitcase into which we are trying to pack one too many things.
~ John Willis - Writer
- You can't lose an old golf ball.
~ Johnny Miller - Male Golfer / Commentator
- Golf is 90 percent inspiration and 10 percent perspiration.
- When Nicklaus plays wells well, he wins. When he plays badly, he finishes second. When he plays terribly, he finishes third.
- This is an impossible shot . . . but if anyone can pull it off, it's this guy!
~ Jon Stewart - Celebrity
- The Supreme Court ruled that disabled golfer Casey Martin has a legal right to ride in a golf cart between shots at PGA Tour events. Man, the next thing you know, they're going to have some guy carry his clubs around for him.
~ Julios Boros - Male Golfer
- By the time you get to your ball, if you don't know what to do with it, try another sport. golf quotes
- Retire to what? I already play golf and fish for a living.
~ Justin Leonard - Male Golfer
- I have those (goals) written down, but don’t want to discuss them. Right now, I just want to keep on improving.
~ Justin Timberlake - Celebrity
- I get way more nervous playing golf in front of 500 people than being on stage in front of 20,000 people.
- I like to play golf. I like to shoot hoops.
- You have a lot of time on these tours. As Alice Cooper said, you can either drink all day or golf.
Return to the Alphabet
~ Karrie Webb - Female Golfer
- Golf is my boyfriend right now.
- I think I was given a gift to play golf and to be mentally strong.
- I think travel is probably the downside of playing professional golf, but you've got to do it.
- It takes having your golf peak four different times throughout the year. You have to like all four golf courses. You've got to be the best of that week for the four weeks.
~ Kathy Whitworth - Female Golfer
- There's an old saying, 'It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools.' It's usually the player who misses those three-footers, not the putter.
~ Ken Harrelson - Athlete all golf quotes
- In baseball you hit your home run over the right-field fence, the left-field fence, the center-field fence. Nobody cares. In golf everything has got to be right over second base.
~ Ken Venturi - Commentator
- Victory is everything. You can spend the money, but you can never spend the memories.
- You can’t make good scores happen. You’ve got to let it happen.
~ Kevin Costner - Celebrity
- Sex and golf are the two things you can enjoy even if you’re not good at them.
Return to the Alphabet
~ Lance Armstrong - Athlete
- It's nice to win. I'll never win again. I may have to take up golf - take on Tiger.
~ Larry Mize - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- My butterflies are still going strong. I just hope they are flying in formation.
~ Larry Nelson - Male Golfer
- If I can hit a curveball, why can't I hit a ball that is standing still on a course?
~ Larry Ramirez - Writer all golf quotes
- Golf is a game, not a sport.
~ Lauri Peterson - Female Golfer
- My goal this year is basically to find the fairways.
~ Lee Bracken - Diplomat all golf quotes
- When the path ahead of you is uphill, surrounded by rough spots, hazards and obstacles: use a pitching wedge.
~ Lee Trevino - Male Golfer
- A hungry dog hunts best.
- A rough should have high grass. When you go bowling they don't give you anything for landing in the gutter, do they?
- Arnie has more people watching him park the car than we do out on the course.
- Columbus went around the world in 1492. That is not a lot of strokes when you consider the course.
- Golf isn't just my business, it's my hobby.
- His nerve, his memory, and I can't remember the third thing - on the three things an aging golfer looses
- I adore the game of golf. I won't ever retire.
- I love Merion . . . & I don't even know her last name - referring to Merion Golf Club
- I never played much golf as a kid. I caddied quite a bit but never got serious into golf until about age 15.
- I’m not saying my golf game went bad, but if I grew tomatoes, they’d come up sliced.
- If my IQ had been two lower I'd have been a plant somewhere.
- If you're caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron.
- I'm a golfaholic, no question about that. Counseling wouldn't help me. They'd have to put me in prison, and then I'd talk the warden into building a hole or two and teach him how to play.
- I'm actually a very quiet person off the golf course. I talk 150 miles per hour when I'm at the course, but when in private I very seldom ever open my mouth.
- I'm going to win so much money this year, my caddie will make the top twenty money-winners list.
- I'm hitting the driver so good I gotta dial the operator for long distance after I hit it.
- I'm in the woods so much I can tell you which plants are edible.
- It's the most fun I've had with my clothes on.
- I've played golf with three U.S presidents.
- My swing is so bad I look like a caveman killing his lunch.
- No one who ever had lessons would have a swing like mine.
- One under a tree, one under a bush, one under the water - describing how he was one under during a tournament
- Putts get real difficult the day they hand out the money.
- Show me a golfer who doesn't have a mean streak, and I'll show you a weak competitor.
- The older I get the better I used to be!
- There are two things you can do with your head down – play golf and pray.
- There is no such thing as natural touch. Touch is something you create by hitting millions of golf balls.
- Two things that are not long for this world: dogs that chase cars and professional golfers who putt for pars.
- We all choke, and the man who says he doesn't choke is lying like hell. We all leak oil.
- When I'm on a golf course and it starts to rain and lightning, I hold up my one iron, 'cause I know even God can't hit a one iron.
- Who can say I have a bad swing? The only thing that matters in golf is the score you put on the board. You don‘t have to look pretty out there, you have to win. Look at my record and tell me who has a better swing than mine.
- You can make a lot of money in this game. Just ask my ex-wives. Both of them are so rich that neither of their husbands work.
- You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen.
- You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket.
~ Lee Westwood - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- No, I don't have any problems leaving disappointments behind. I've had lots of good days at golf and a few disappointments, so you never know what's around the corner.
~ Leslie Nielson - Celebrity all golf quotes
- I wore that same shirt yesterday playing golf. There goes the Nike account.
- The reason they call if 'golf' is that all the other 4 letter words were used up.
~ Lloyd Mangrum - Male Golfer
- Golf is the only sport I know of where a player pays for every mistake. A man can muff a serve in tennis, miss a strike in baseball, or throw an incomplete pass in football and still have another chance to square himself. In golf, every swing counts against you.
- That son of a bitch was able to hole a putt over 60 feet of peanut brittle - speaking about Bobby Locke
~ Lon Hinkle - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Golf is golf. You hit the ball, you go find it. Then you hit it again.
~ Lord Robertson - Diplomat
- My favorite shots are the practice swing and the conceded putt. The rest can never be mastered.
~ Lou Graham - Celebrity all golf quotes
- Hitting the ball is the fun part of it, but the fewer times you hit the ball the more fun you have.
- If you try to fight the course, it will beat you.
~ Lou Holtz - Football Coach
- If he's got golf clubs in his truck or a camper in his driveway, I don't hire him.
~ Louise Suggs - Female Golfer all golf quotes
- Golf is very much like a love affair, if you don't take it seriously, it's no fun, if you do, it breaks your heart. Don't break your heart, but flirt with the possibility.
- Much of anyone’s game is played (or should be played) in the short six-inch course between the ears.
~ Lyndon B. Johnson - Diplomat all golf quotes
- One lesson you better learn if you want to be in politics is that you never go out on a golf course and beat the President.
Return to the Alphabet
~ Mac Davis - Celebrity
- I was out on the golf course, a guy came riding out in a golf cart and said, Did you know that Elvis died? And I just said, well, there you go. It was like I had kinda been expecting it.
~ Mac O'Grady - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- A hole in one is amazing when you think of the different universes this white mass of molecules has to pass through on its way to the hole.
- One minute you're bleeding. The next minute you're hemorrhaging. The next minute you're painting the Mona Lisa - describing a typical round of golf
- When I putt, my emotions collide like tectonic plates. It's left my memory circuits full of scars that won't heal.
~ Mackensie Astin - Celebrity all golf quotes
- When I am working it is up early and coffee and 15 hours of being on the set. When I am not working, it is up late and coffee, golf or softball and hopefully a ball game on the television.
~ Mancil Davis - Celebrity
- Hitting a tree in west Texas is stranger than getting a hole in one.
~ Marc Anthony - Celebrity all golf quotes
- Fame is addictive. Money is addictive. Attention is addictive. But golf is second to none.
~ Mark Calcavecchia - Male Golfer
- Golf is just a game - and an idiotic game most of the time.
- Hit it hard. It will land somewhere.
~ Mark Foley - Diplomat all golf quotes
- For example, in my district there are visitors from all over the world who are drawn to our beautiful beaches, recreational lakes, habitat wildlife preserves and golf courses.
~ Mark Goddard - Celebrity all golf quotes
- Let the machine take care of the machines, and I'll go spend more time with my family, or golf.
~ Mark McCumber - Male Golfer
- All year, I concentrated on “Forget the last shot.’ It takes so long to accept that you can’t always replicate your swing. The only thing that you can control is your attitude toward the next shot.
- Forget the last shot. It takes so long to accept that you can't always replicate your swing. The only thing you can control is your attitude toward the next shot.
~ Mark Twain - Writer all golf quotes
- Golf is a good walk spoiled.
- It is good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.
~ Martha Beckman - Writer
- Man blames fate for other accidents but feels personally responsible for a hole in one.
~ Martin Sheen - Celebrity all golf quotes
- Anybody who plays golf will tell you that you play against yourself.
- Golf is fundamentally about being honest. I see people hit eight shots and tell me they shot five. I never say a word. It is a reminder to me of what is at stake.
- Those years on the golf course as a caddie, boy, those people were something. They were vulgar, some were alcoholics, racist, they were very difficult people to deal with. A lot of them didn't have a sense of humor.
~ May Hezlet - Female Golfer all golf quotes
- No golfer can ever become too good to practice.
~ Michael Bamberger - Writer
- Swinging at daisies is like playing electric guitar with a tennis racket: if it were that easy, we could all be Jerry Garcia. The ball changes everything.
- The number eighteen is symbolically meaningful because it is the numerical equivalent of the Hebrew word chai, which means life.
- Where do I begin to try to explain the joys of Machrihanish? It was remote and undiscovered and that implies a great deal immediately...but what else?...It was a course that brought out the best in my game, a course sublime in its natural beauty, a course that moved Old Tom Morris to say (according to Peter Kelly), 'The Almichty maun hae had gowf in his e'e when he made the place.
~ Michael Green - Writer all golf quotes
- Golf balls are attracted to water as unerringly as the eye of a middle-aged man to a female bosom.
- The number of shots taken by an opponent who is out of sight is equal to the square root of the sum of the number of curses heard plus the number of swishes.
~ Michael Murphy - Celebrity
- Golf is a game to teach you about the messages from within, about the subtle voices of the body-mind. And once you understand them you can more clearly see your 'hamartia,' the ways in which your approach to the game reflects your entire life. Nowhere does a man go so naked.
- I have come to think that a person grows in his regard for the rules as he improves his game. The best players come to love golf so much they hate to see it violated in any way.
~ Michael Strahan - Athlete all golf quotes
- My hobbies and leisure activities include cars and golf.
~ Michael Wilbon - Athlete
- Both of us played basketball, and I played tennis and my knees are done. Now if you ask us head-to-head who wins at golf, I'm asking for a couple of strokes.
~ Michelle Wie - Female Golfer all golf quotes
- I don't like going to the mall. I'm not really like the other girls. I just like to go out on the golf course and play. Golf is fun and feels really good.
~ Mickey Gilley - Celebrity
- All I want to do is do my shows and play golf.
~ Mickey Mantle - Athlete all golf quotes
- He who has the fastest golf cart never has a bad lie.
- The only sure rule in golf is – he who has the fastest cart never has to play the bad lie.
~ Mickey Wright - Female Golfer
- When I play my best golf, I feel as if I'm in a fog, standing back watching the earth in orbit with a golf club in my hands.
~ Mike Holder - Coach of 8 time National Champion Oklahoma State
- I try to simulate the most difficult conditions the players will encounter during competition.
~ Mike Weir - Male Golfer
- A lot of my buddies also played golf, but when it came to going to the beach or on the boat and chasing girls, they usually went that way and I went to the golf course.
- If I can raise more money for charities, or get more Canadian kids to play golf, the green jacket will mean even more.
- Out here, it's just you and the ball.
- The beauty of golf, you're in charge out here.
- This golf course, you miss a shot a little bit off-line, it's going to bite you.
~ Mila Kunis - Celebrity all golf quotes
- I love swimming, tennis, and I am taking up golf. I am not serious about it, I just go to the range and practice. Other than that, I enjoy going to the movies and hanging out with my friends.
~ Miles Bantock - Writer
- I drove a ball into the air. It fell to earth, I know not where. But if I'd found it, I'll bet you, I would have done that hole in two!
~ Miller Barber - Male Golfer
- Bad Sausage and five bogeys will give you a stomach ache every time.
~ Muhammad Ali - Athlete all golf quotes
- I'm the best. I just haven't played yet - on his golf game
Return to the Alphabet
~ Nancy Lopez - Female Golfer
- Do your best, one shot at a time and then move on. Remember that golf is just a game.
- The simpler I keep things, the better I play.
~ Natalie Gulbis - Female Golfer all golf quotes
- My first calendar was a combination of photos taken from different shoots including golf and casual.
~ National Lampoon - Celebrity
- If you want to take long walks, take long walks. If you want to hit things with sticks, hit things with sticks. But there's no excuse for combining the two and putting the results on TV. Golf is not so much a sport as an insult to lawns.
~ New York Tribune (1916) - Writer
- Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday, and a hope for tomorrow.
~ Nick Faldo - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- John certainly gives it a good hit, doesn't he? My Sunday best is a Wednesday afternoon compared to him - on John Daly
- He hits it long. His shoulders are impressively quick through the ball. That's where he's getting his power from. He's young and has great elasticity - on Tiger Woods
~ Nick Johnson - Athlete
- No matter what kind of day I've had at school, I always look forward to golf.
~ Nick Price - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- I play and give each shot 100 percent, and I’m not thinking about winning or about what score I’m shooting. I’m just doing my best on every shot.
- The more I focus, the less I worry about pressure and everything else. My mind is totally and completely into the target. Some people choose to worry about hitting out-of-bounds, some choose to think about their swing, but when I’m looking down at the ball, I actually see the target.
~ Notah Begay - Male Golfer / Commentator
- I realized that the secret to golf isn't how low you shoot when it's going good, it's how to make your bad rounds better.
- The basic philosophy behind [switch putting] is you always want a hook putt. So for a left-to-right breaking putt, you're going to want to hit it left-handed and vice versa.
~ Nubar Gulbenkian - Businessman
- It is more satisfying to be a bad player at golf. The worse you play, the better you remember the occasional good shot.
~ Nursultan Nazarbayev - Diplomat
- We know that golf is an ancient game with great history and tradition, but our golf is only 10 years old so don't judge us too harshly.
Return to the Alphabet
~ Omar Sandys - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- I am planning and God is driving, so thanks to God I shot 65.
~ Osbert Sitwell - Writer
- A golf course outside a big town serves an excellent purpose in that it segregates, as though a concentration camp, all the idle and idiot well-to-do.
Return to the Alphabet
~ P.G. Wodehouse - Writer all golf quotes
- “After all, golf is only a game," said Millicent. Women say these things without thinking. It does not mean that there is a kink in their character. They simply don't realize that they are saying.
- Golf, like the measles, should be caught young, for, if postponed to riper years, the results may be serious.
- Golf... is the infallible test. The man who can go into a patch of rough alone, with the knowledge that only God is watching him, and play his ball where it lies, is the man who will serve you faithfully and well.
- He enjoys that perfect peace, that peace beyond all understanding, which comes at its maximum only to the man who has given up golf.
- Sudden success in golf is like the sudden acquisition of wealth. It is apt to unsettle and deteriorate the character.
- The least thing upset him on the links. He missed short putts because of the uproar of butterflies in the adjoining meadows.
- The only way of really finding out a man's character is to play golf with him.
- To find a man's true character, play golf with him.
~ P.J. O'Rourke - Writer
- Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: taking long walks and hitting things with a stick.
~ Pam Barnett - Female Golfer all golf quotes
- To help your concentration, don't take too much time.
~ Pat Summerall - Commentator
- In football, there were drinks available everywhere you looked. On a golf tournament, you could find one free anywhere you wanted it. In tennis and NBA basketball, everybody had a hospitality suite, and so you could go there and load up if you wanted to.
~ Patric Dickinson - Writer
- Thou giv’st me to the world’s last hour, A golfer’s fame divine; I boast–thy gift–a Driver’s power, If I can Putt–’tis thine.
~ Patty Berg - Female Golfer all golf quotes
- Don't be in such a hurry. That little white ball isn't going to run away from you.
- The more you play it the less you know about it. Patty Berg
- There is nothing in this game of golf that can't be improved upon if you practice.
~ Patty Sheehan - Female Golfer
- The worst advice in golf is, 'Keep your head down”.
- It's nice to have the opportunity to play for so much money, but it's nicer to win it.
~ Paul Gallico - Writer all golf quotes
- If there is any larceny in a man, golf will bring it out.
~ Paul Harvey - Celebrity
- Golf is a game in which you yell "fore," shoot six, and write down five.
~ Paul O'Neil - Athlete all golf quotes
- Golf is essentially an exercise in masochism conducted out-of-doors.
~ Paul Runyan - Male Golfer
- Don't let the bad shots get to you. Don't let yourself become angry. The true scramblers are thick-skinned. And they always beat the whiners.
~ Payne Stewart - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- But in the end it's still a game of golf, and if at the end of the day you can't shake hands with your opponents and still be friends, then you've missed the point.
- Invariably something happens at a U.S. Open where the golf course gets out of control one day, they have one pin that's out of control. It always seems to happen. But they've gotten better about the height of the rough.
- This thing is for the game of golf, yeah, but trust me, the Europeans don't have that mentality.
- Tiger is the greatest thing that's happened to the tour in a long time. He has brought incredible attention to golf at a time of year when football and the World Series always take precedence. Everything I've heard about him seems to be true.
~ Perry Como - Celebrity
- But we do have a golf course near by and I play fairly regularly.
~ Pete Alfano - Writer all golf quotes
- One almost expects one of the players to peer into the monitor and politely request viewers to refrain from munching so loudly on cheese and crackers while the golfers are trying to reach the greens.
~ Pete Dye - Course Architect
- The ardent golfer would play Mount Everest if somebody put a flag stick on top.
~ Pete Sampras - Athlete all golf quotes
- In tennis, you can make a couple of mistakes and still win. Not in golf. I played three rounds in that Tahoe event, and I was drained. Mentally, not physically.
~ Peter Dawson - Celebrity
- It is no secret that the Golf Foundation has had its difficulties.
~ Peter Dobereiner - Writer all golf quotes
- Half of golf is fun; the other half is putting.
~ Peter Forsberg - Athlete
- Pretty it's pretty good for me because I'm over here in the winters. It's really improved my golf game.
~ Peter Jacobsen - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- One of the most fascinating things about golf is how it reflects the cycle of life. No matter what you shoot - the next day you have to go back to the first tee and begin all over again and make yourself into something.
- I didn’t miss the putt. I made the putt. The ball missed the hole.
- I’m probably less serious about my game than I was in the past. I’ve lost a brother and father in the past six years. And what about people who have lost friends and comrades in war? Golf is a game. You’ve got to keep that in perspective.
- If you can’t enjoy the time between golf shots, then you are going to have a pretty difficult life because most of you life is the time spent in-between.
~ Peter Thompson - Male Golfer
- I just try to put it on the fairway, then the green and not three putt.
- When you don't play very often, you just don't know what is coming next. - playing at the millennium British Open for the four-hole Past Champions Challenge
~ Phil Blackmar - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Golf isn't like other sports where you can take a player out if he's having a bad day. You have to play the whole game.
~ Phil Harris - Celebrity
- When you start driving your ball down the middle, you meet a different class of people.
~ Phil Mickelson - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- I have come to understand and appreciate writers much more recently since I started working on a book last fall. Before that, I thought golf writers got up every morning, played a round of golf, had lunch, showed up for our last three holes and then went to dinner.
- The object of golf is not just to win. It is to play like a gentleman, and win.
~ Phil Silvers - Celebrity
- Be funny on a golf course? Do I kid my best friend's mother about her heart condition?
~ Phyllis Diller - Celebrity all golf quotes
- The reason the pro tells you to keep your head down is so you can’t see him laughing.
~ Prince Charles - Diplomat
- When The Haig died in 1969, Junior called me from Detroit to tell me there would be no funeral. Instead, a bunch of his cronies were going to throw a party at the Detroit Athletic Club. They thought The Haig would prefer that. I didn't go. Like Hamlet, golf's sweet prince, I thought, deserved a grander exit than that. He was splendid. They should have carried him out on a shield - talking about Walter Hagen
~ Princess Anne - Diplomat all golf quotes
- Golf seems to me an arduous way to go for a walk. I prefer to take the dogs out.
Return to the Alphabet
~ Raymond Floyd - Male Golfer
- How can you get tired of playing golf?
- I guess what was going to come back came back on Monday. Of course now I've played a different golf course. I've played two practice rounds and two tournament rounds all kind of the same and now today I've played a different golf course.
- I'm used to the golf course playing soft, so tomorrow I'm going to have to pay attention a little bit more.
- They call it golf because all the other four-letter words were taken.
- When a father takes his son out for his first game of golf, and he says ‘Son, when you’re on the golf course, I want you to always conduct yourself like a gentleman-I want you to conduct yourself like Ray Floyd,’ that’s how I’d like to be remembered.
~ Red Skelton - Celebrity
- Exercise? I get it on the golf course. When I see my friends collapse, I run for the paramedics.
~ Richard Armour - Writer all golf quotes
- G is for Green, that's constructed to roll in every direction away from the hole.
- I sank a long and curling putt, It's like I've seldom seen; It would have helped my scoring but, 'Twas on the practice green.
- If I ever make a hole in one, A thrill that I've never known, I won't be believed and I'll have no fun, For I'm sure to be playing alone.
- If only I kept my eye on the ball, looking downward as does the pro there, I might not see where it was going, at all, but there might be a chance it would go there.
- Some golfers blast their ball from traps, with one adroit explosion, but others, out in ten perhaps, depend upon erosion.
- This golfer has a wicked slice. And quite a follow-through. That’s why his partner, who stood too close, is on the green in two.
~ Richard Coop - Psychologist
- Each golfer has to understand his temperament before he can learn to manage it.
~ Richard Roeper - Writer
- You can't take up golf on a whim and find yourself competing against Tiger Woods in the Masters six months later.
~ Rick Reilly - Writer all golf quotes
- Golf is the cruelest game, because eventually it will drag you out in front of the whole school, take your lunch money and slap you around.
~ Robert Browning - Writer
- The trouble that most of us find with the modern matched sets of clubs is that they don’t really seem to know any more about the game than the old ones did.
- There are three ways of learning golf: by study, which is the most wearisome; by imitation, which is the most fallacious; and by experience, which is the most bitter.
~ Robert E. Zorn - Writer
- Go ahead and putt, you are not interrupting my conversation.
~ Robert Lynd - Writer all golf quotes
- It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf.
~ Robert Redford - Celebrity
- Golf has become so manicured, so perfect. The greens, the fairways. I don't like golf carts. I like walking. Some clubs won't let you in unless you have a caddy and a cart.
- I'm not interested in a film about golf but I am interested in golf as a metaphor.
- Sport is a wonderful metaphor for life. Of all the sports that I played - skiing, baseball, fishing - there is no greater example than golf, because you're playing against yourself and nature.
- You can't completely control the sport - Tiger Woods comes close. The test is against yourself and nature's own way. I find golf a particularly good metaphor for this story.
~ Robert Stack - Celebrity all golf quotes
- I play bad golf for good charities like the LA Police.
~ Robert Wagner - Celebrity
- One thing that golf teaches you is humility.
~ Robin Williams - Celebrity
- Golf is a game where white men can dress up as black pimps and get away with it.
~ Robin Yount - Athlete all golf quotes
- You know, when I was a young boy I used to play baseball in my back yard or in the street with my brothers or the neighborhood kids. We used broken bats and plastic golf balls and played for hours and hours.
~ Roger Kahn - Writer
- Tennis and golf are best played, not watched.
~ Roger Maltbie - Commentator
- Once you try, golf is the hardest game you’ll ever play.
~ Rogers Hornsby - Athlete all golf quotes
- I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it.
~ Rose Montgomery - Female Golfer
- Let's get after it. - her signature expression, after spitting on her gloves at the start of a round. On June 2, 1992, at the age of 96, Rose aced the 100-yard 7th hole at Canyon Country Club in Palm Springs for her tenth career hole in one.
Return to the Alphabet
~ Sam Snead - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- But you don't have to go up in the stands and play your foul balls. I do!! - to Ted Williams
- First and fore-most, you must have confidence. Your second mental problem is concentration. Think the shot through in advance before you address the ball. Draw a mental image of where you want it to go and then eliminate everything else from your mind, except how you are going to get the ball into that preferred spot.
- Forget your opponents; always play against par.
- Golf got complicated when I had to wear shoes and begin thinking about what I was doing.
- Golf tip: Lay off for three weeks and then quit for good.
- I believe in destiny…what’s going to be is going to be. If I’m going to win, I’m going to win…I don’t give a damn what the other guy shoots. I’m going to win if it’s my turn.
- I shot an elephant in Africa thirty yards from me, and it didn’t hit the ground until it was right at my feet. I wasn’t a bit scared, but a four foot putt scares me to death.
- If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they would starve to death.
- If I had cleared the trees and drove the green, it would've been a great shot.
- If some players took a fork to their mouths the way they take the club back, they’d starve to death.
- Just have a Coke or something and watch the boys go past - his advice to the gallery during the four-hole Past Champions Challenge Summer of 2000
- Keep close count of your nickels and dimes, stay away from whiskey, and never concede a putt.
- Never let up. The more you can win by, the more doubts you put in the other players' minds the next time out.
- No matter what happens - never give up a hole....In tossing in your cards after a bad beginning you also undermine your whole game, because to quit between tee and green is more habit-forming than drinking a highball before breakfast.
- Nobody asked how you looked, just what you shot.
- Of all the hazards, fear is the worst.
- Practice puts brains in your muscles.
- The fairways were so narrow you had to walk down them single file.
- The greens are harder than a whore's heart [Winged Foot Golf Club, New York]
- The only reason I ever played in the first place was so I could afford to hunt and fish.
- The three things I fear most in golf are lightning, Ben Hogan and a downhill putt.
- There are no short hitters on the tour anymore, just long and unbelievably long.
- There is an old saying: if a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot.
- These greens are so fast I have to hold my putter over the ball and hit it with the shadow.
- To be consistently effective, you must put a certain distance between yourself and what happens to you on the golf course. This is not indifference, it's detachment.
- You can't go into a shop and buy a good game of golf.
- You've just one problem. You stand too close to the ball after you've hit it.
- Golf is played with the arms.
- You know Bobby, when I was your age I'd drive the ball right over those trees at the corner. Feeling challenged Mr. Cole hit a big driver right into those big trees. Snead then said 'Of course, when I was your age, those trees were only 10 feet high - playing with Bobby Cole at the tee of a dogleg-left par 5
~ Sammy Cahn - Celebrity all golf quotes
- The life of the golfer is not all gloom; There's always the lies in the locker room.
~ Samuel Johnson - Writer
- Golf: A game in which you claim the privileges of age and retain the play-things of youth.
~ Scott Hamilton - Athlete all golf quotes
- That's what makes the Ryder Cup in golf so much better than the Masters or the U.S. Open. To be a part of something that is not about personal achievement, but about representing everyone and sharing it with the whole country, it's wonderful.
~ Sean Connery - Celebrity
- I met my wife through playing golf. She is French and couldn't speak English and I couldn't speak French, so there was little chance of us getting involved in any boring conversations - that's why we got married really quickly.
- You know, the Oscar I was awarded for The Untouchables is a wonderful thing, but I can honestly say that I'd rather have won the U.S. Open Golf Tournament.
~ Sergio Garcia - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Be who you really are.
- Concentrating for four hours will wear you out mentally.
~ Seve Ballesteros - Male Golfer
- I do not trust doctors. They are like golfers. Every one has a different answer to your problems.
- I look into their eyes, shake their hand, pat their back, and wish them luck, but I am thinking, 'I am going to bury you.
- I miss. I miss. I miss. I make - describing his four-putt at Augusta's No.16 in 1988
- I'd like to see the fairways more narrow. Then everybody would have to play from the rough, not just me.
- To give yourself the best possible chance of playing to your potential, you must prepare for every eventuality. That means practice.
~ Shaquille O'Neal - Athlete all golf quotes
- If you got the game, you got the game. That's why Tiger Woods is out there playing golf with Greg Norman.
~ Sharron Moran - Female Golfer
- Indecision builds nervous tension and undermines any remaining confidence.
~ Shia LeBeouf - Celebrity all golf quotes
- And if you're a golfer and you watch a golf film and Matt Damon swing, and it's not great, then you're not going to believe in the golf story, you're not going to believe in the rest of the film. That's the whole movie, so if that swing looks like crap, the movie's crap.
- I hated golf when we first started, but a big part of the training process was falling in love with this sport, so I went on tour with the UCLA Team.
- I trained more than anybody ever in a golf film ever made - my swing is pretty hot.
- I understand why marriages break up over golf. I can't even talk about my own handicap because it's too upsetting.
- When you look at golf films before us they're all - garbage or satire. A lot of sports films tend to vilify the opposition. Where the opposition becomes this big angry monster, so big you can't beat him.
~ Silk Stockings TV Show - Celebrity
- The people who gave us golf and called it a game are the same people who gave us bag pipes and called it music.
~ Simon Hobday - Male Golfer
- Two balls in the water. By God, I have got a good mind to jump in and make it four!
~ Sir Walter Simpson - Writer all golf quotes
- When a putter is waiting his turn to hole out a putt of one or two feet in length, on which the match hangs at the last hole, it is of vital importance that he think of nothing. At this supreme moment he ought to fill his mind with vacancy. He must not even allow himself the consolation of religion.
~ Smokey Robinson - Celebrity
- I played golf all over Detroit.
~ St. Andrews Club Member all golf quotes
- The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he's worse, he's neglecting his golf.
~ Stephen Baker - Writer
- A professional will tell you the amount of flex you need in the shaft of your club. The more the flex, the more strength you will need to break the thing over your knees.
~ Stephen Leacock - Writer all golf quotes
- Golf may be played on Sunday, not being a game within the view of the law, but being a form of moral effort.
~ Steve Pate - Male Golfer
- I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work everyday and realized that my life wasn't so bad.
~ Steve Sax - Athlete all golf quotes
- You can’t call it a sport. You don’t run, jump, you don’t shoot, you don’t pass. All you have to do is buy some clothes that don’t match.
- You can't call it a sport. You don't run, jump, you don't shoot, you don't pass. All you have to do is buy some clothes that don't match.
~ Sylvester Stallone - Celebrity
- Playing polo is like trying to play golf during an earthquake.
Return to the Alphabet
~ Tea Leoni - Celebrity all golf quotes
- At one point, I had 14 pairs of golf shoes.
~ Ted Osborne - Writer
- Golf is very healthy; it is better to swat pills than to swallow them.
~ Ted Ray - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Golf is a fascinating game. It has taken me nearly forty years to discover that I can't play it.
~ Terry Bradshaw - Athlete
- I know this golf tournament has my name on it but it's not about me. It's about the Louisiana Tech family. There is nothing greater than being a part of the Bulldog family.
~ The Father of Gander Golf all golf quotes
- Here's to the man with club in hand. Here's to the king of bogey land; Here's to the clubs with outlandish names, And here's to golf, the game of games!
~ Thomas Boswell - Writer
- I may be the only golfer never to have broken a single putter, if you don’t count the one I twisted into a loop and threw into a bush.
~ Thomas Mulligan - Diplomat all golf quotes
- If you really want to get better at golf, go back and take it up at a much earlier age.
~ Thomas Risk - Writer
- And thus, with self-deception bland, We mourn the fours that should have been, Forgetting, on the other hand, The luck that helped us through the green; Calmly accepting as our due The four-hole which we fluked in two.
~ Tiger Woods - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Achievements on the golf course are not what matters, decency and honesty are what matter.
- As a kid, I might have been psycho, I guess, but I used to throw golf balls in the trees and try and somehow make par from them. I thought that was fun.
- As far as golf, one of the things my dad kept instilling in me was the joy of the game. He made it fun for me. A lot of the times I see a lot of the kids, they don't enjoy being out there and that's a shame, you're supposed to enjoy the game, it's a game, ultimately.
- Don't force your kids into sports. I never was. To this day, my dad has never asked me to go play golf. I ask him. It's the child's desire to play that matters, not the parent's desire to have the child play. Fun. Keep it fun.
- Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps.
- I am the toughest golfer mentally.
- I believe that my creative mind is my greatest weapon.
- I did envisage being this successful as a player, but not all the hysteria around it off the golf course.
- I didn’t hit one ball like that on the range - to Steve Williams on the 1st hole of the final round at the 2004 PGA
- I do plan to return to golf one day, I just don't know when that day will be.
- I don't know if I even have an aura, man. I just try to win.
- I get to play golf for a living. What more can you ask for - getting paid for doing what you love.
- I love to play golf, and that's my arena. And you can characterize it and describe it however you want, but I have a love and a passion for getting that ball in the hole and beating those guys.
- I love to play to win.
- I want to be what I’ve always wanted to be: dominant.
- I'm addicted. I'm addicted to golf.
- My dad has always taught me these words: care and share. That’s why we put on clinics. The only thing I can do is try to give back. If it works, it works.
- My mother’s a Buddhist. In Buddhism, if you want to achieve enlightenment, you have to do it through meditation and self-improvement through the mind. That’s something she’s passed on to me: to be able to calm myself down and use my mind as my main asset.
- Never beat yourself up, because there are plenty of people that will do it for you.
- Tiger, come on now, you’ve still got work to do. This round and golf tournament are not over. Hang in there and finish the race.
- You ever go up to the tee and say, ‘Don’t hit it left, don’t hit it right’? That’s your conscious mind. My body knows how to play golf. I’ve trained it to do that. It’s just a matter of keeping my conscious mind out of it.
- A golfer should never make a mental mistake because the ball is just sitting there waiting for you to hit it.
~ Tim Allen - Celebrity all golf quotes
- Playing golf is like going to a strip joint. After 18 holes you are tired and most of your balls are missing.
~ Tina Weymouth - Celebrity
- Art is not predictable. Art is not golf, as great as that may be. There are 360 degrees of choice to make.
~ Tom Kite - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Golf course design is exciting.
- It is a very positive event, being nervous. It allows you to do great things.
- It's a piece of property that, if you're going to have a development out here, you need to have a golf course because you need to take care of the effluent water being created by the development.
- We went around and looked and talked to a lot of foundations with those charities and decided upon the Children's Hospital. They had a golf tournament at the time, but it was a small event that didn't raise a significant amount of money.
~ Tom Lehman - Male Golfer
- Having nerves and feeling the pressure just gets you focused and gets your concentration level where it needs to be. I harness that nervous energy into a positive way.
- I think if you are going to base your whole life on what you do on the golf course, you are up for a lot of ups and downs.
~ Tom Watson - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- A lot of guys who have never choked, have nevera been in the position to do so.
- Confidence in golf means being able to concentrate on the problem at hand with no outside interference.
- Golf will grow so long as it's fun.
- No other game combines the wonder of nature with the discipline of sport in such carefully planned ways. A great golf course both frees and challenges a golfer's mind. golf quotes
- The person I fear most in the last two rounds is myself.
~ Tommy Armour - Male Golfer
- Every golfer scores better when he learns his capabilities.
- Golf is an awkward set of bodily contortions designed to produce a graceful result.
- Love and putting are mysteries for the philosopher to solve. Both subjects are beyond golfers.
- Play the shot you’ve got the greatest chance of playing well and play the shot that makes the next shot easy. It is not solely the capacity to make great shots that makes champions, but the essential quality of making very few bad shots.
~ Tommy Bolt - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Always throw your clubs ahead of you. That way you don't have to waste energy going back to pick them up.
- Golf is a game where guts and blind devotion will always net you absolutely nothing but an ulcer.
- I wonder who is going to finish second - after birdying the first hole in the first round on route to his1958 U.S. Open victory
- If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you do not waste energy going back to pick it up.
- Never break your putter and your driver in the same round or you’re dead.
- Putting allows the touchy golfer two to four opportunities to blow a gasket in the short space of two to forty feet.
- The biggest liar in the world is the golfer who claims that he plays the game merely for exercise.
- The mind messes up more shots than the body.
- They throw their clubs backwards, and that's wrong. You should always throw a club ahead of you so that you don't have to walk any extra distance to get it - about the tempers of modern players
~ Tony Lema - Male Golfer
- Golf is like solitaire. When you cheat, you only cheat yourself.
- It isn’t the hours that you put in at practice that count. It’s the way you spend those minutes.
- The best advice I can give for playing a ball out of water is – don’t.
- You build a golf game like you build a wall, one brick at a time.
- You don't necessarily have to be a good golfer to be a good putter, but you have to be a good putter to be a good golfer.
~ Trent Dilfer - Athlete all golf quotes
- Hit the ball pretty solid. Haven't played a lot of golf this year, so was really unsure of what it would be like. I've been playing pretty well lately, especially hitting the ball solid.
- I had very low expectations. Honestly, I think I had 11 rounds of golf the entire year in before this tournament, and I had hit balls maybe four or five times.
- There are some guys out here that can really play golf, but it has not been their focus for that long.
Return to the Alphabet
~ U.S. Open TV Commentator
- One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said.
Return to the Alphabet
~ Val Doonican - Celebrity all golf quotes
- Golf is like an 18-year-old girl with big boobs. You know it's wrong but you can't keep away from her.
~ Vijay Singh - Male Golfer
- The more they made noise, the more calm I became - after the final round of the 2004 Buick open
~ Vince Gill - Celebrity all golf quotes
- The real beauty of it - key to my life was playing key chords on a banjo. For somebody else it may be a golf club that mom and dad put in their hands or a baseball or ballet lessons. Real gift to give to me and put it in writing.
Return to the Alphabet
~ Walter Hagen - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- Every golfer can expect to have four bad shots in a round and when you do, just put them out of your mind. This, of course is hard to do when you've had them and you’re not even off the first tee.
- Here Eddie, hold the flag while I putt out - to the Prince of Wales
- I would rather be of clear mind and decision with the wrong club than with an unclear mind and the right club.
- If you worry about the ones you missed, you are going to keep missing them.
- Trouble shots are surprisingly easy if you activate your imagination. You simply must be able to imagine exactly what flight the ball will take before you can play any shot well.
- What a shame to waste those great shots on the practice tee.
- Whatever happens on the golf course is OK, because if I put the ball in trouble I know that I have the skills to get it out of trouble and back into play.
- You’re only here for a short visit, so don’t hurry, don’t worry, and be sure to stop and smell the flowers along the way.
~ Wendy Ward - Female Golfer
- I think golfers get over-concerned about results. Enjoy the process: enjoy the opportunity to play.
~ Westbrook Pelger - Writer all golf quotes
- Golf is the most useless outdoor game ever devised to waste the time and try the spirit of man.
~ Wiffy Cox - Male Golfer
- The subconscious mind is probably the most important factor in being a good golfer. It keeps distractions on the course from ruining a good round. You should practice, develop your swing, and do most of your thinking on the practice tee so that when you play in competition, you can hit the ball automatically.
~ Will Rogers - Celebrity
- Golf is good for the soul. You get so mad at yourself you forget to hate your enemies.
- I guess there is nothing that will get your mind off everything like golf. I have never been depressed enough to take up the game, but they say you get so sore at yourself you forget to hate your enemies.
- The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has.
~ William Wordsworth - Writer all golf quotes
- Golf is a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness.
~ Willie Nelson - Celebrity all golf quotes
- All I do is play music and golf - which one do you want me to give up?
~ Willie Park - Male Golfer all golf quotes
- A man who can putt is a match for anyone.
~ Wink Martindale - Celebrity all golf quotes
- You go to work, tape five shows in one day and then go home and play golf for the rest of the week and then start the week all over. I thought if something like that came along, I'd love to do that.
~ Winston Churchill - Diplomat all golf quotes
- [Golf] is like chasing a quinine pill around a cow pasture.
~ Woodrow Wilson - Diplomat all golf quotes
- Golf is an ineffectual attempt to put an elusive ball into an obscure hole with implements ill-adapted to the purpose.
Return to the Alphabet
I researched long and hard for the best resources available on the web to assist me in making The-Golf-Experience.com a reality and I found none better than Solo Build It with whom to partner.
Above and beyond the comprehensive program they provide to assist you on your journey is the incredible level of customer service you'll get along the way. The world would be a better place if every company out there modeled the quality and level of their customer service after what Solo Build It seems to provide with such ease.
New! CommentsJoin the conversation by sharing your comments and opinions about the content on this topic in the box below.